The 3D Animated Rough Draft

It’s been awhile since my last update on A Day with George.

I built all the 3D assets I needed to complete, and began placing cameras. I didn’t quite get around to designing the title’s animated logo or the promotional poster design, but I did complete the 3D animated rough draft!

In the 3D animated rough draft, I animated specific keyframes for each scene, rendered in 3dsMax, and adjusted frame timing with Adobe After Effects. A few tweaks are needed, but that’s all in due time. I plan to render the final animation at 30fps at 720p, but for now a low resolution render at 30fps at 640p will do.

And here it is (no sound):

I didn’t run into many technological problems in the past month that caused me to pull my hair out in frustration. I just found the timed animation adjustments a bit time consuming in itself. A few times 3dsMax crashed itself due to some weird material rendering and glitching modifiers.

A Day with George Rough Animation (1/3)
A Day with George Rough Animation (1/3)

I’ve mentioned how important it was to keep my animated storyboard as a reference, but to be honest, I changed about 30%-40% of the camera shots, and added a bit more subtle animation. Because originally, when I followed the storyboard, my shots were too long, they weren’t visually pleasing, and a lack of a better word: boring. So I tried to keep a continuous video beat and changed camera shots when I could.

A Day with George Rough Animation (2/3)
A Day with George Rough Animation (2/3)

Overall, I am pretty satisfied on how the animated rough turned out. After viewing the rendered 3D rough draft, there are a few adjustments that need to be made (i.e. plants moving in the wind, George’s tongue flopping around, the secondary characters on the shaky canoe, etc.). And of course the addition of sound!

A Day with George Rough Animation (3/3)
A Day with George Rough Animation (3/3)

Side note: I am extremely happy how organized I have been in production pipeline since I started this animation, it honestly saved my life a couple times when I needed to find the right .max file to import animations. I would of thrown my computer out of the window if something went terribly wrong.

I don’t plan to lose the momentum of this animation anytime soon, there’s a lot to be done! So until the next update!

Thanks for viewing!